Friday, November 21, 2008

Of Teachers and Nurses

My auntie, a public school teacher from Melaka, came to visit my family Wednesday. And you know old folks, once they start talking, it never stop, unless of course they are fighting lah... Anyway, the topic for that night was my cousin's (my aunts daughter) job, which she recently got in Singapore.

And then of course the direction of conversation was diverted to me, because, you know, being on the verge of finishing SPM, comes the dreaded question :"WHAT TO STUDY???"

And being the usual indecisive person that I am, I squirmed...er...ah...Dunno lah! Wait finish SPM first only talk. BUT SPM is almost over!! And although I'm dying to get past this phase of my life, I guess I'm just a little greatful for this "distraction" from making up my mind.

Then my mom had to bring up nursing. My mom, being really, extremely, impossibly, practical, of course would want me to do something that would guarantee a job in the future. I totally understand where she's coming from, because nurses are really in demand right now, but the thing is, after reading the flow chart, I'm not entirely sure it's my thing.

When you start off, naturally, you start at the bottom, in nursing terms, it means, the person who does crap work! Cleaning, and coming face to face with a lot of gross stuff...

And though I wouldn't mind being one of those nurses in the surgery room, who hands the doctor the tools, (just because that'd be kinda cool), but to get to that level, you'd have to study more, which of course comes into more money!

And so, I've actually ruled out nursing, but haven't told my mom, (she thinks I'm still considering it). Ironically, though, I'm actually, seriously, considering becoming a teacher, but haven't told my mom yet (because I'm scared of her!)

What to do? What to do?!!!!

On a much lighter mode though, THREE FREAKING PAPERS TO GO!!

*sigh*

No comments: